Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Foie Gras Ban

Pine nuts, catfish and frogs are among the things I will not or can not eat. Now I can add Foie gras to the list. While surfing the web I came across an article on chef Charlie Trotter removing foie gras from his menu because of the cruel used to produce it. After a bit of research I found a lot of site supporting the ban of foie gras. The methods used to produced foie gras is not pretty. In order to obtain a large fat liver animals, ducks or geese, are forced feed 2 or 3 times a day. The force feeding is performed by sticking a 8-12inch metal or plastic pipe down the esophagus of the animal. The rapid increase in liver size causes the animal to become very ill and will most likely die if butchers did not intervene first. It turns out California has already pass a bill to ban sale and production of foie gras by 2012. Chicago just recently banned foie gras too, fining violators up to $500. Having never tried the cruel delicacy I doubt I will be missing it.

2 Comments:

Blogger charsiubao said...

word. it was the topic of a persuas ive speech i made in hs.

so sad. ducks are cute and fat and delicious, but having them suffer while at it? boo. =(

10:47 PM  
Blogger TheMikey said...

Foie gras is good...but not good enough for the cruelty to the duck. No foie gras for me too.

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counters