Sunday, November 05, 2006

Boeuf bourguignon-braised beef with red wine

My first attempt at making stuff out of Thomas Keller’s book: Bouchon. This hearty looking stew seemed perfect for the cold weather.

My first impression of the dish was not too great when I considered the amount of time it took me to make it. My friend thought it was great but I found the red wine to be too tart and slightly bitter, overpowering broth. The meat itself however turned out great. It was melt in your mouth tender and very juicy.

Revisiting the leftover stew 3 days later was a pleasant surprise. Keller was not kidding when he suggest letting the stew sit in the fridge for 1-3 before serving. The developed broth was much more delicate compared to it the days before. The aroma of the red wine was still there but I could no long taste bitter tartness. Another note, I do not recommend doing this, even though I reheated my stew in the microwave the meat was still super tender and juicy.

Recipe can be found in Thomas Keller’s Bouchon
A daunting ingredients list, but most of the items are not expensive

Red wine
Onions
Carrots
Leek
Shallots
Mushrooms
Thyme
Bay leave
Black peppercorn
Parsley
Garlic
Short ribs
Canola oil
Beef stock
Potatoes
Baby carrots
Pear onions

Free Web Counters